As any modern business owner knows, ensuring that your supply chain adheres to ethical standards is an absolute necessity. As consumers, governmental bodies, and other organisations become increasingly attuned to ethical issues, retailers are under more and more pressure to offer transparency surrounding the ethical credentials of their suppliers. Indeed, social responsibility has become a standard element of every company’s marketing and sourcing strategy. This ensures that products are of high quality and that brands can demonstrate their corporate responsibility. In the long run, this should help to garner strong consumer loyalty.
Ethical audits are also important for making sure that production processes are up-to-date and that the work environment of your supplier is safe. This will help to reduce the possibility of events such as accidents during work hours.
Global Inspection Managing offers robust ethical audits to international standards or, indeed, audits that align with your company’s own specifications.
Our ethical audit services take account of the following factors:
- Hygiene standards
- Health and safety protocols - This includes auditing different types of machinery and materials to ensure workers are kept safe.
- Child and young labour - Remember that child labour refers to the employment of minors under the age of 14. Employing children younger than 14 is illegal but is a practice that still occurs throughout the world.
- Labour practices - This includes screening for signs of forced labour, discrimination, or illegal disciplinary practices. Remember that forced labour is prohibited under the ILO convention, 1930.
- Working hours and wages - We look to ensure that workers’ needs are adequately represented.
- Waste management systems
- Freedom of association - This ensures that workers have the right to join or leave an organisation voluntarily.
- Human resources management - We ensure that organisations adopt a fair and robust human resources system.
Ethical audit standards that suit you
We understand that different clients have different needs, so we are willing to tailor our ethical audits to ensure your suppliers' credentials align with your specific requirements.
Our ethical audits reach international standards
Our expert auditors offer services in line with all major internationally-recognised audit standards, including:
- SA 8000
- Amfori BSCI
- Initiative for Compliance and Sustainability
When our auditors visit supplier sites, they ensure that no unauthorised subcontracting is taking place with the help of GPS technology. Once this has been clarified, they get on with the following tasks:
- Initial meeting with the supplier
- Tour of the relevant factory
- Review of relevant documents
- Conduct interviews with workers both individually and in groups
- Closing meeting
We also hold workshops with suppliers, helping to educate them about our audit services and the ways in which they can become more compliant with international ethical standards.
Clients can rest assured that our interviews with workers are conducted in a professional and sensitive way. During an interview, an auditor will use their expertise to detect any inconsistencies or causes for concern.
All of our ethical auditors are professionally certified and undergo training on a regular basis to ensure they stay knowledgeable about the latest ethical regulatory requirements.
Why do you need an ethical audit?
By opting for an ethical audit, you can ensure that:
- Your suppliers facilitate acceptable working conditions for their employees
- Your suppliers do not impinge on any worker’s human rights
- You comply with relevant statutory requirements
- You build strong bonds with suppliers
- Your brand image is maintained and consumer loyalty is secured